Saving Your Winter Skin

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

It's cold. Really cold. Every time I step outside I feel like the cool air is dragging every ounce of moisture out of my skin. By the time, I get to my destination, my lips feel freezer burned. I'm gonna need at least a few more degrees of warmth, Big Man.

Considering that good ol' Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, it looks like winter and the colder temperatures will be around for a while longer. And I can boo-hoo all I want, it won't change anything. All I can do for now is try to prevent scaling up like an alligator. I'm teaming up with my boo Deb to talk about skincare today, specifically tips for combatting winter temperatures, because good skincare is so frequently overlooked for it's prettier cousin, makeup. The truth is no amount of makeup can remedy unhealthy skin. And although maintaining is so hard during these months, here are a few of my tips for healthy, glowing winter skin.


Water, water everywhere. And all the drops to drink. So drink them! Water intake is almost directly correlated to skin health and hydration, at least in my experience. I find that when I'm drinking an adequate amount of water my skin gets clearer and more plush and vibrant. It's like a glow.

Change pillowcases frequently. A tip so frequently overlooked but so necessary for any time of the year. Think about it. We sleep on our pillowcases every night. We sweat, shed skin cells (gross) and some of us even drool (eep!). Pillowcases can get cruddy pretty easily and spread bacteria to our faces and vice versa.

Exfoliate with scrubs. It's strange. I feel like most people exfoliate in the summer because it's when they show the most skin, but really, it's in the winter when you need it most. Exfoliating your entire body once a week will do away with those dry cells and reveal soft, beautiful, new skin.

Use body oils instead of basic moisturizers. In high school, I also regularly used Vitamin E oil as a moisturizer. And as much as I loved the Bath & Body Works and Victoria's Secret body butters (still do!), I have to admit: my skin has never felt softer or more hydrated than back then. You can check out body oils like L'Occitane's Skin Oil and Philosphy's Living Grace Body Oil. But for the past couple of years, I like combining a natural oil, like almond oil, with a little bit of an essential oils for fragrance and using that as a moisturizer. It absorbs easily into the skin (a lot easier than Vitamin E) and hydrates brilliantly, and I've taken to making my own little concoctions :)

Love lip balms especially those with menthol in them. That tingly feeling on your lips after apply certain products is the menthol, and it can be really soothing on dry or chapped lips. You can go for drugstore brands like Blistex or Carmex or you can spring for my Sephora fav, Jack Black's Intensive Therapy Lip Balm or C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Shine. I even apply some under any other gloss or lipstick I wear just for extra moisture.

Got any tips for preserving your skin during the winter months? Have you checked out Deb's post? You should!


1.

7 comments:

  1. A+ job on these tips, Kari! You definitely mentions some things that I usually just pass over. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I have definitely increased the amount of water I've been drinking and I DO think it's helping my skin this winter. :)

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so bad with everything on this list except water, lol. i really need to change my pillow case, so gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these tips! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so bad about water intake. I need to set alarms on my phone or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, Kari! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips girlie. When I was in London one winter .. literally I would go outside and my lips would crack up instantly! SO yes yes yes to the lip balm.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me love ❤ If you don't get a response from me, it's probably because you're a no-reply blogger. Fix that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...