Flocking Together.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

In case you missed it, I'm kinda big into quotes. Sometimes when I'm feeling totally out of it, I look up motivation sayings to get me back in the right state of mind. In fact, I decorate my planner with quotes that I know I'll probably need to see during that week. I've seen this quote floating around a lot and recently, it seems to fit every scenario I come across.


Not only is that photo a fierce photo, but the message is pretty badass too. You grow up hearing sayings from your grandma like "birds of a feather flock together" and you kinda write it off because she's just trying to stop you from seeing an R-rated movie and talking to boys with your best friend who's "too mature". It's silly and doesn't make sense because you know who you are and no one else is going to change that. Except you grow up and you realize that it's not as impossible as you thought. 

One of my friends in college was pretty much the opposite of me. She confronted everything when she should let things go, and confused being honest with her friends with hurting their feelings. That's not to say she didn't have positive qualities as well, but I mean, you never adopt another person's good qualities, now do you? Eventually, I found myself adopting some of her behaviors and habits, always having something to say, using some of her terminology, becoming unnecessarily distrustful of guys I wasn't even really dating yet. I couldn't pin point exactly how it began but I knew I didn't like it. It just wasn't me. And that's when I realized how easy it is to become your surroundings, to adopt habits and traits almost subconsciously. It felt like I lost myself and I couldn't remember for the life of me where I'd placed it, or me rather. 

It's so important to "surround yourself with those on the same mission as you". Not only because they'll push you towards your shared goals, lift you up when it's difficult to stand, and stand by you when it gets real. Because by surrounding yourself with like-minded people, you're all but guaranteeing that you will pick up some useful, if not great, traits along the way, ones that add to the person you want to be. And that's kind of the point of the journey after all.

Just a few quick thoughts for the day. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. I really do. About a year ago, I really started "clearing" out a lot of the toxic friendships in my life. That's not to say that I don't still have some toxic friends, because I do. But I am trying so hard to only surround myself with people that I wouldn't mind being more like. I have this one friend who is just SO negative about life... there is ALWAYS a problem... even when life is going well! I do not want to be that person... but when I come home from spending time with her, I can almost feel the negatively weighing me down! Not good! I totally agree with every last sentence of this post! Awesome!

    -Kate
    www.theflorkens.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this so much! Thats all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari! I found your link in the We Love EC group. :) I so agree with this. I think people emit vibrations, and when you're surrounded by negative ones, you pick up on them. So it makes sense to work with positive vibrations right? :) So I try to always look on the bright side (a wise teacher once said to always "look for the gold". I feel like when I look at the good things, more good things happen.

    - Ronni
    http://anywhere-is.net

    ReplyDelete

Leave me love ❤ If you don't get a response from me, it's probably because you're a no-reply blogger. Fix that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...