Thirteen Years.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Keep those that suffered and lost during this day thirteen years ago in your thoughts. Remember where you were at the very moment you heard the news.

I'll never forget that day. I was in my 7th grade classroom, just twenty minutes outside of New York City. It was someone's birthday and we were waiting for the extra cupcakes to be raffled off. I remember kids being called out of the classroom one by one until there were only half of us left. And I remember thinking "Good. Less competition for the cupcakes." That is until they called my name. But no one was waiting for me in the office, instead I picked up the phone. "Keep your cellphone near you," my dad's voice came through the receiver. "Something's happened in the city. Mommy is fine. But you are going to stay in school. You are not to be afraid, mama. No man, no woman..." he began. "...no beast alive can beat me," I finished the phrase we always said to remind us to be strong, to be fearless. I'm not sure if I was fearless or if I simply endured that fear, but I remained in class for the rest of the day, and by the time my dad picked me up at the normal time, I'd learned a valuable lessons:

"THE GREATEST SOULS ARE AWAKENED OUT OF SUFFERING. THE MOST IMPRESSIVE PERSONALITIES ENDURE MANY SCARS."

Thirteen years later. Never forget. We are stronger than we think.


1, edited by me

3 comments:

  1. Wow, can't believe you were that close. Thanks for sharing your story. I'd love to hear more.

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad story. My heart goes out to everyone effected on that day and the days following it :(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. That gave me chills kar. You were soooo close :(

    ReplyDelete

Leave me love ❤ If you don't get a response from me, it's probably because you're a no-reply blogger. Fix that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...