Jojoba, I lo-lo-ve you.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013



A few Saturdays ago, I left Zumba class and my scalp was on fire. On fire. It took everything in my power not to dig my hands into my hair and scratch my itchy scalp as I walked down the street. I enjoy working out, and I really love Zumba, but this intense itchy feeling I can do without. After making rummaging through my hair care bin, I discovered a solution in jojoba oil.

Pronounce "ho-ho-ba", this oil has worked small miracles in my life since its entry. Jojoba is actually a shrub that grows in the southern region of the U.S. and Mexico (see picture above), and the oil comes from the seeds of the plant. After doing tons of research, I discovered the many uses of jojoba oil and I've been hooked ever since. Jojoba oil is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory, as Native Americans made use of it to clean wounds for years, and can also be used as a tanning oil, an eye makeup remover, and an acne treatment to name a few. But I mainly use it as natural moisturizer for my hair and skin.

Photo Credit
Softening hair, removing dandruff and calming an itchy scalp.
Jojoba oil has become a part of my hair care regime over the past few months for removing flakes and reliving the dreaded itchy scalp. 
Because of the texture of my hair, I don't have to wash my hair as frequently and I can plan things out accordingly. So, the night before I plan to wash my hair, I moisturize my hair and scalp with a combination of oils. In a clear squeeze bottle, I mix jojoba oil and tea tree oil (don't sleep on tea tree oil - it's the bomb too!), and apply the mixture, concentrating on my scalp. Then, I work a generous amount of jojoba oil through my hair and moisturize the ends of my hair with argan oil. Before going to bed, I pull my hair into a bun on the top of my head, being sure to tuck the ends in. After washing and conditioning the next day, I'm left with hydrated, soft and flake-free hair. 
To relieve an itchy scalp, I just use the dropper nozzle on the clear bottle. Parting my hair horizontally, I apply the mixture as close as possible to my scalp without irritating it.

Quenching dry skin.
During the winter, most women go through various moisturizing products, searching for the one that will keep skin soft and soothe dry skin. Jojoba oil absorbs easily, hydrating it without leaving any greasy residue behind. And the oil doesn't have an odor which I really like, because sometimes a scented lotion gets in the way of whatever perfume I chose for the day. In fact, if you look at the ingredients, lots of moisturizers contain jojoba oil. So it's no wonder that it's known to trap moisture and combat both wrinkles and signs of aging. One of my favorite uses is rubbing a bit of oil onto a dry patch which, like magic, makes it disappear. It's also a pretty awesome as a pre-shave conditioner.

Convinced yet? Is jojoba oil part of your beauty arsenal? Let me know below! 

6 comments:

  1. Oooh what a good idea! i'll have to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a lot about this since I've been doing more research on 'natural' hair products. I would love a post with a review if you end up liking it!

    AJ | TheAJMinute
    @TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your new header/sidebar/layout! It looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I love it, dear! It's been part of my hair care for a few months now and it looks like a permanent member!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me love ❤ If you don't get a response from me, it's probably because you're a no-reply blogger. Fix that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...