That Limbo Between Law School & Real Life and a Quaint Little Flat in London

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Today's topic: "If you could take three months off from your current life and do anything in the world, what would you do?" 

This is actually a pretty terrifying question now that I sit down and commit myself to answering it. Before now, it was just this abstract future question to which I thought I'd simply answer "travel, of course". But in some ways, today's prompt is actually real life for me right now. Well, sort of. As a recent law school graduate and bar examinee, I am currently in this state of limbo. I've just finished schooling and I don't have an employer banging down my door to hire me just yet. For now, I just am :) So, in a way, my question could be restated "Now that you have nothing to do, what are you going to do?" 

Photo Credit

Get Fit! - again. I've mentioned fitness a few times already in my blog posts because it's a pretty big concern for me. I began and finished law school heavier and pretty out of shape. Although I lost quite a bit of weight in between, you'd never know if I didn't have the pictures to prove it because I gained a majority of it back over the past 3 years. So, I'm currently dedicating myself to working out daily and most days, twice daily. With no other real obligations, aside from the never-ending job search, I hope to see some results soon. Because I have to be able to outrun that attacker with a machete and an AK47, chasing me for all the secrets I possess but shouldn't know about. I can't be the only one who watches action movies actresses (like Angelina Jolie in Salt) and says "If I had to run that long I'd die. Ah, I have to be fit so I can escape the corrupt government officials!" Oh, I am? Well, OK. *Buries head in sand.* 





Write a Novel. Or a short story, or a series of paragraphs even. Just write things. Over the years, I've never really had the time to fully develop a story. I'd jot down a character sketch or two, outline a scene here or there, and maybe even write out a make-shift chapter of some random story if I could. But I could never immerse myself in my characters, in their stories, and resurface with something worthy of calling a coherent piece from start to finish. I salivate over the prospect of such things. 

Assuming that money wasn't an option, I'd do this all in London (just for the record, Paris comes in at a close second!). Last year, I spent a week or so in the UK, specifically at Oxford University for a short study abroad program. We visited a few law firms in London and as I stalked through the streets in the most uncomfortable dress shoes I have ever worn (seriously, of all places to do this), I vowed to return (& in comfty shoes!). So in this dream state of 3 months off with all necessary funding, I'd rent a flat not unlike this one in the heart of London.   
I'd spend quite a bit of the day lounging in that plush cream, embroidered chair, reading many of the books on the shelves.
Via VRBO
I'd relish in the view I woke up to daily.
Via VRBO
I'd sit at that vintage desk as I wrote & gaze out of the floor-length window when I was in need of inspiration.
Via VRBO
I'd have tea and crumpets in this little nook.
Via VRBO

I'd run alongside these fellow travelers in Hyde Park and run a bit further every time.
Photo Credit

At night, I'd marvel in the beauty that surrounds me.
Photo Credit (top-bottom; left-right): London Bridge, Big Ben, London Eye, Westminster Abbey 

Basically, I'd fall head over heels in love with my life.


So that's it. Running away from bad guys + writing a few (thousand) paragraphs + a million dollar London apartment = totally feasible, right? 

What would you do with your 3 months off? In the comments below, let me know or direct me to your blog so I can read all about it!

2 comments:

Leave me love ❤ If you don't get a response from me, it's probably because you're a no-reply blogger. Fix that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...