Fame, What A Feeling! (Outfit, Hair & Makeup)

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Yes, I did just combine two song titles from the movie Flashdance because I couldn't choose just one. I adore that movie. Don't judge me.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, as evidenced by my excitement over 13 Nights of Halloween and my recent Instagram posts. Even though I always wait until the last minute for a costume, I do like dressing up. If you also wait until 2 days before to figure out a costume, Alex from Flashdance is a fun and easy one. I love love love this costume because it's super cute and an ode to the funnest decade ever. Long live the 80s!

THE OUTFIT:

A Flashdance inspired costume

  • Opaque Tights - Choose a pair as close to your skin color as possible, but make sure the tights are your exact size (I'd suggest maybe even going a bit bigger) so the material doesn't stretch and become see-through in your bum area!
  • Bodysuit/Leotard - Who knew my old gymnastics leotard would be useful almost 10 years later? If you don't have a bodysuit, my advice is to be strategic and buy one that can be multi-functional. Like this bodysuit by American Apparel. It's $30, but an addition to your wardrobe that can be worn lots of ways. But if you're on a budget, here's one from Forever 21.
  • Legwarmers - I have a white and a black pair but I really like this neon pink pair for the outfit (Or if you're like me and have always wanted thigh-highs, pick up a pair and roll 'em down). You can go with whatever color you want here, and it doesn't have to match your leotard either. That's the beauty about the 80s. It was all expression and none of the judgement. So throw on a purple pair with that neon orange leotard if you want to, girl!
  • Sweatshirt - If you don't have a old sweatshirt that your comfortable cutting up, then buy a cheap one herehere, and here. Cut a deeper half-moon into the collar, which allows the sweatshirt to hang off your shoulder. Then, and this is optional, cut the sleeves a bit so that they roll-up. I'd stop here but you can really get creative with the scissors if you want.
  • Black Heels - Any black leather pumps in your closet will do. These pumps are on my Pinterest wishlist because they look like they'd be comfortable enough for anything.
  • Accessories - Here's where we ease off the color, and instead put on some dainty silver jewelry. Forever 21 is my go-to store for cute, inexpensive occasion pieces so I picked out this heart bracelet, and these basic silver hoops.

*Scroll to the bottom of this post to see a modified version of this look!

THE HAIR:





L to R: Jennifer Grey, Elisabeth Shue, Jennifer Beals, Witches of Eastwick (Michelle Pfeiffer, Susan Sarandon & Cher)

The 80s was all about big curly hair. For some women, it was the natural state of their mane but  others spent hours to achieve the look. I used a curling iron with a small/medium barrel similar to this one to achieve this look.

May the force be with you. That picture on the left is a lil sketch - eep!

Curling 1-inch pieces in different directions, I worked my way from the back to the front on each side. Try to curl pieces in different directions so that they don't blend into one large curl when you run your hands through your hair. And make sure to curl the hair that frames your face away from it.

I don't have bangs like Jennifer Beals but to emulate the volume at the top I've created a kind of faux bang. To get this effect, I combed a half-moon section towards the front my head and wrapped it horizontally around the barrel of the iron. Then I flipped it back loosely and wrapped it around a plastic curler using two bobby pins to secure it (see below). I also used flex-rods to set the curls better while I finished my hair and makeup. I didn't need it but you can use some texturizing spray at the roots for some extra va-va-voom!


Then, just spritz your hair with some hairspray and a bit of sheen & you're done.




THE FACE:
So you're thinking "With such a loud outfit, let's go neutral"? Nope. I mean, you could of course, but where's the 1983 in that? Exactly. So we're going for a little bit of eyeshadow, a whole lot of eyelashes and a bright pink lip.


Products Used:


Face: Nars Sheer Glow Foundation (sampling; not pictured), Nars Radiant Concealer in Amande,  MAC Mineralize Skinfinish 
Eyes: BH Cosmetics Day To Night Palette eyeshadow (Magenta, Pink and Lilac), Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner in Intense Black, House of Lashes "Au Naturale" Lashes (not pictured)
Lips: Jordana lipliner in Berry Blush, Milani Color Statement lipstick in Rose Hip





Flashdance Modified:
If you're not super comfortable with the idea of a bodysuit and a semi-exposed bottom, here are a few modifications you can make while maintaining the 80s vibe:
  • Keep the legwarmers in a creme color and add a pair of patterned or shiny leggings like these in neon pink. 
  • Wear a basic white tank top beneath a light grey sweatshirt to balance out those intense leggings, or throw on a neon green sweatshirt to amp it up further! 
  • If it's warm where you are, ditch the sweatshirt in favor of a denim shirt tied at your belly button a lá Olivia Newton-John in "Let's Get Physical." 
  • And because it's a much sportier look, don a pair of wedged sneakers for the perfect blend of comfty and chic.

What do you think of this Halloween look? What's your costume this year?

4 comments:

Leave me love ❤ If you don't get a response from me, it's probably because you're a no-reply blogger. Fix that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...